Sunday, May 16, 2010

Korean Fashion

I've been trying to make a post about Korean fashion for a while and I only got around to it today.

Let me just say that Korean women really dress nicely, in all situations. Even my co-teacher who does the P.E. classes (Christina) wears spike heels every day (have you ever seen someone jump rope in three inch heels? 'Cause I have). The one time I saw her in a T-shirt I think she must have had the flu or something.

They also have this cutesy fashion going on. Bows, ribbons, ruffles and pink are everywhere. They sell matching outfits for mothers and grown daughters and boyfriends and girlfriends.
Guys wear skinny jeans (a little more mystery in life would be nice) and leather jackets. Women wear baggy shirts and leggings, giant hair bows, really short skirts and at least three inch heels.
Now that I'm trying to explain it, I can't think how to accurately describe the Korean sense of fashion. They wear the most cutesy outfits without irony and it seems to work. They also completely disregard comfort and safety when selecting their outfits. They could be going to a soccer game and they would still wear stilettos, booty shorts and a giant pink bows on their heads.

That was a terrible explanation, but its the best I could do at the moment.
It should also be noted that things like the color pink and cute animals are not the sole domain of the female populations. Its perfectly acceptable for a little boy to like pink, none of his classmates will think its strange.

This weekend is shaping up to be another great one. My friends and I had a sports day yesterday that was a great time despite the fact that I bashed in my toenail when I kicked a soccer ball wrong. Fresh air and sunshine is sometimes hard to come by in our busy schedules so it was a nice change of pace. We ended the day by seeing Robin Hood which I'm not sure I liked. The actors did grow on me, though.

Today, we are going to the Lantern Festival in Seoul which is in honor of Buddha's Birthday, though its actually next Friday. Looks like it's going to be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment