Thursday, June 10, 2010

Lucy

Here was what my lunch comprised of yesterday:

Rice
Dried Squid legs in sweet chili sauce
boiled robin's eggs
kimchi
an avacado

I am so not in Kansas anymore. I've never been to Kansas but i'm pretty sure none of those things are regularly on the menu. Well, rice, but who counts rice?

We're getting a new Korean teacher (Lucy) and she seems really nice. We chatted some when she was observing one of my classes.

But today I was having trouble with a class and breezed right by her without saying hello. Not a big deal in America but, as I have already mentioned in a previous post, serious buisness in Korea. It been one of the hardest things to adjust to because I often ignore people I know on the street. Nothing personal, just habit, I guess. I was absorbed in my work at my desk when I felt someone rubbing my back. I look up to see Lucy with a concerned look on her face.

"You seem upset." she said. I wasn't really but I was frustrated enough to not have remembered to greet her when I walked in - this was the point that I realized my mistake. So I gave a dramatic sigh and played it up.

"Kiwi class is crazy." I tell her. She gives me a sympathetic look and starts fanning me with the papers she has in her hand. I feel bad about my earlier misstep so I try to make up for it. And one thing I have learned about female kind is that there is sometimes nothing that can lift your spirits like a sincere compliment from another female.

"You have such a pretty dress!" I said. She is tall and curvy in a way that Korean women just aren't. In America she would be considered a knock out.

"Thank you! You have a pretty face." Apparently she is well versed in female, too.

later I find out that she can't come to a get together we are having because she's going to the hospital to get monitored becasue she's on serious diet drugs.

Ah, Korea. Destroyed another woman's self esteem, have you?

No comments:

Post a Comment