Wednesday, June 23, 2010

More on the Heroic Struggle of the South Korean Footballers

Last night was the defining match between south Korea and Nigeria. If we won, Nigeria was out and we would be on to the final 16. If they won, there were going to be a lot of disappointed Koreans. This was for all the marbles.

I told myself I would stay up and watch the game. Never mind that its at 3am and I had my hardest day of work ahead of me. This was in the name of nationalism! In the name of doing the same thing as almost every person in the country at the same time to feel a sense of cosmic connection. Or maybe just national connection. I did very well, really. Only, I never did make it to 3:30am. I conked out at about 2:30 - long enough to deprive me of sleep and not long enough to actually see the game. When I finally did get to sleep I was sure I wouldn't be able to get up in time for school the next day.

When all of a sudden there arose such a clatter.

It was like the entire city was screaming at once. I could hear it through the walls, through my floor, even through my open window. Later that day, I talked to my co-workers and they all re-called being woken up by shouts of dea han min guk! at the same time. The madness was city-wide and I could not get back to sleep.

It turns out that, after a really intense game, South Korea tied the score 2-2, securing not only their spot in that final 16, but also Nigeria's expulsion from the competition.

In other soccer news, the four missing North Korean players were found, there doesn't seem to be a lot of explanation about where they were, but it doesn't sound like they were defecting. Too bad. They joined the North Korean team just in time for Portugal to beat them like a rented mule (seriously. 7-0).

Since the team had done so well against Brazil, the North Korean government had consented to have the match live broadcast on their television. This was perhaps the wrong time to give the people a glimpse of the outside world.

Next, we play Uruguay. I have a feeling this success if going to be short lived...

No comments:

Post a Comment